The band I play guitar for – Berlin Black – are currently running a PledgeMusic campaign to fund the recording and release of our debut album. It would be great if you could get involved and pledge, you’ll be helping an independent act out, and getting yourself some exclusive goodies in the process!
PledgeMusic represents the new paradigm for the music industry, in my opinion. It puts participation and fan investment front and centre, and it has the potential to be great for bands and artists.
If you’re not familiar, this is how it works:
- A band or act set up a campaign, stating their target
- They set up items that can be purchased, from a CD to personal gigs or merchandise/memorabilia
- They elicit donations up front from fans
- If the campaign reaches it’s target, the band gets the total donations, less PledgeMusic’s cut
- The band then sends out the exclusive goodies, merchandise etc direct to the fans
Of course, it only really benefits if the target is reached, but the target can be exceeded so as long as it’s set realistically there’s very little to lose. If nothing else, it gives a great opportunity to raise awareness of the project in hand and the funding makes much more lavish productions possible.
So please – go ahead and pledge!